The City of Paso Robles is seeking an individual with a strong background in payroll.
Applications are being accepted until July 14, 2017 at 5:00pm.
Process and prepare the City’s biweekly payroll; review timekeeping reports to identify and resolve errors in time reported; ensure availability of leave time reported; verify earnings and deductions; ensure payroll checks are calculated in accordance with legal requirements, City policies, and labor contract provisions.
Generate and check final payroll reports and registers; coordinate wire transfer of funds for direct deposit, payroll taxes, and employee deductions to various banking institutions and benefit providers.
Oversee the generation and mailing of monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll, retirement, and tax withholding information to federal and state government agencies and CalPERS; audit and balance accounts in preparation for generating tax reports; generate and reconcile year-end payroll reports; prepare and mail employee W-2 forms and related tax statements.
Reconciles all group insurance billings and issues payments; prepares reports and requests payment for union dues, and other payroll-driven costs.
Coordinate with Human Resources Department staff to provide payroll related information for employment verification requests.
Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
Responsible for the enforcement and maintenance of all payroll documents as they relate to the City’s records retention policy.
Provide assistance to the City’s outside auditors on payroll related questions and matters.
Interact with co-workers at all levels in the organization in a collaborative and customer service-oriented manner.
Process and maintain confidential payroll data, including special payroll transactions such as wage assignments, garnishments, pensions, and insurances. Calculates and manually prepares retroactive pay adjustments, overtime adjustments, and all other employee pay related adjustments.
Applies and ensures compliance with provisions of collective bargaining contracts and personnel rules as they apply to payroll and a wide variety of paid and unpaid leave usage.
Provides support with testing of payroll system calculations, report writing, and payroll software updates as needed. Provides professional and detailed information to each employee and to departments related to payroll and benefits, including policies and procedures.
Employment Standards & Special Requirements
- Terminology and practices of financial and accounting document processing and record keeping.
- Principles and practices of auditing accounting and finance documents.
- Basic principles and practices of fund accounting and public agency budgeting.
- Record keeping principles and procedures.
- Computerized finance systems and computer software and systems related to accounting and finance processes.
- Business letter writing, techniques for preparing informational materials and the standard format for reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Codes, regulations, policies, agreements, technical processes and procedures related to City and departmental activities; MOUs and policies and procedures of fiscal record keeping and accounting.
- Computer applications related to the work, including word processing, database and spreadsheet applications; experience with Tyler Munis is desirable.
English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- Techniques for effectively representing the City in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups, and various business, professional, educational, regulatory, and legislative organizations.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service to the public, representatives of other agencies, and City staff, in person and over the telephone.
- Review documents related to department operations; observe, identify, and solve technical issues and procedural problems; understand, interpret, and explain department policies and procedures; respond to accounting issues for the public and staff.
- Taking a proactive approach to customer service issues.
- Interpret, input, retrieve, and transmit statistics and other communications to and from the public or computer.
- Perform detailed accounting, record keeping, and financial office support work accurately and in a timely manner.
- Prepare financial reports and maintain ledgers and journals through the use of spreadsheets and/or word processing.
- Review financial documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Interpret, apply, and explain a variety of Federal, State, and local regulations, as well as policies and procedures of fiscal record keeping and accounting.
- Analyze data and draw logical conclusions; identify and troubleshoot problems.
- Learn prescribed formulas for calculation and reconciliation of assigned functions; perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Perform a variety of processing/record keeping clerical functions.
- Respond to and effectively prioritize multiple phone calls and other requests for service.
- Maintain attention to detail and accuracy.
- Prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
- Make accurate arithmetic, financial, and statistical computations.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and four years of accounting experience with an emphasis in payroll processing and automated payroll-processing systems. Experience in a municipal payroll environment highly desirable. Possession of an Associate of Arts degree from a business or community college related to finance may substitute for some years of experience.
Licenses and Certifications:
Must possess a valid California Class C driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
Selection Procedure & Application Process
Applications will be reviewed for accuracy, completeness and job related qualifications. A limited number of persons whose applications clearly demonstrate they most closely meet the requirements may be invited to participate in the selection process, which may be any combination of written, oral, and/or performance exams.
Appointment is subject to successfully passing a pre-employment physical, and background and criminal history check. Before starting work, applicants must present documentation of their identity, authorization to work in the United States and a DMV driving record. The City of Paso Robles participates in E-Verify (more information can be found at www.PRCity.com/Jobs). Following appointment, a twelve-month probationary period may be required as the final phase of the appointment process.
Each applicant must submit a completed City employment application by Friday, July 14, 2017 at 5PM, POSTMARKS NOT ACCEPTED. If you are unable to apply online, please contact Human Resources at (805) 227-7234 or Jobs@PRCity.com.
Resumes, while encouraged, will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. All statements made in the application materials are subject to verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification or discharge.
All application submissions must be signed. The email address you provide on the City application will be the primary means of communication the City will use to contact you regarding your application and this recruitment.
Comments are closed.